1 to 2 capsules per day, or 4 capsules during stressful periods.
Lactium® is a natural molecule derived from milk. More precisely, it is a milk protein hydrolysate that has been filtered in order to isolate just a single bioactive peptide. The proteins that make up Lactium® are the most effective when it comes to sleep thanks to their relaxing properties.
Lactium® helps you to fall asleep faster, all while improving sleep quality thanks to its relaxing properties.
One of Lactium®'s powers is that it moderates cortisol levels (the stress hormone). The greatest sleep difficulties come with stress. Lactium®'s soothing action helps fight stress and promote sleep.
For further details on the benefits of Lactium®, visit the Find out more section.
- Prebiotics: Frutafit® HD inulin
- Beef gelatin capsule.
Nutritional values per 100 g :
- Protein : 21,5g
- Carbohydrates : 70,6g
- Fat : 0,1g
- Calories : 233kcal
1 capsule contains 150 mg of Lactium®.
|100 g||1 capsule||2 capsules||4 capsules|
|Proteins||21,5 g||118 mg||236 mg||472 mg|
|Carbohydrates||70,6 g||388 mg||776 mg||1552 mg|
|Fat||0,1 g||0,5 mg||1 mg||2 mg|
|Calories||233 kcal||1,2 kcal||2,4 kcal||4,8 kcal|
|Energy||974 kJ||5,3 kJ||10,6 kJ||21,2 kJ|
- 1 g (gram) = 1000 mg (milligram)
- 1 capsule contains 150 mg of Lactium.
- 2 capsules contain 300 mg of Lactium.
- 4 capsules contain 600 mg of Lactium.
Lactium® is for:
- Athletes who wish to improve their sleep and reduce stress in the run-up to a competition
- Less active people seeking to reduce their stress, whether chronic or related to a particular event such as an exam.
For improved sleep, Lactium® is best used in the evening.
Take 1 or 2 capsules one to two hours before going to bed and fall asleep naturally.
If you want to reduce the stress of an exam or a difficult moment, or you need to improve your concentration, you should take the supplement one hour before the event.
Start by taking 1 capsule per day for several days. Gradually increase to 2 or 3 capsules if necessary.
Lactium® does not achieve its peak effect immediately. It usually requires 1 to 2 weeks to take effect. Lactium® is best used during periods of stress.
Synergies between supplements:
No known synergies.
Adverse reactions between supplements:
No notable adverse reactions.
- (1) Bassini-Cameron A. Glutamine protects against increases in blood ammonia in football players in an exercise intensity-dependent way. Br J Sports Med. 2008 Apr;42(4):260-6.
- (2) Carvalho-Peixoto J? Glutamine and carbohydrate supplements reduce ammonemia increase during endurance field exercise.Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2007 Dec;32(6):1186-90.
Find out more
Lactium® is a natural molecule obtained from milk. Specifically, it is a milk protein hydrolyzate that has been filtered to isolate only a single bioactive peptide.
This decapeptide, alpha-casozepin, was discovered because it calms and sleeps babies who have just consumed milk. Besides babies, several studies have shown that taking milk before bed improves sleep in some people (12). Likewise, taking whey protein at night can help you sleep better (13).
The proteins that make up Lactium® are the most effective for sleeping thanks to their relaxing properties (14-15). For example, for 4 weeks, people with trouble sleeping took 1 capsule of Lactium® 1 hour before going to bed (16). The benefits on sleep were obvious after 2 weeks of continuous use. They are manifested by faster falling asleep and more restful sleep. On the other hand, Lactium® does not seem to prolong the duration of sleep much, which suggests that this dietary supplement acts more on the quality of sleep than on its quantity. No side effects or addiction were found (16).
The action of Lactium® develops gradually, over the course of its use, day after day. However, it lasts for more than 2 weeks after stopping use of the supplement. This distinguishes it from sleeping pills, which produce addictive effects that cause sleep to deteriorate even more when you stop taking these medications. A second 12-week study confirms that 300 mg of Lactium® (2 capsules) improves the quality of sleep in people who have trouble sleeping (17). Again, the effect develops over time, being stronger at the end of treatment than after 2 weeks of use.
One of the actions of Lactium® is to moderate the level of cortisol, the stress hormone. It is this hormone, which, when rising, wakes us up in the morning (18). This explains why, when we are stressed, we have the greatest difficulty sleeping. Excess cortisol secretion keeps us awake and / or wakes us up in the middle of the night. This soothing action of Lactium® could be induced by the activation of GABA receptors (18).
- (12) Laird DA. Experimenting with food and sleep. I. Effects of varying types of foods in offsetting sleep disturbances caused by hunger pangs and gastric distress-children and adults. J Am Diet Assoc 1934; 10: 89-94.
- (13) Markus CR. Evening Intake of Lactalbumin May Improve Sleep and Morning Alertness. Am J Clin Nutr 2005; 81: 1026-33.
- (14) Guesdon B. A tryptic hydrolysate from bovine milk alpha(S1)-casein improves sleep in rats subjected to chronic mild stress. Peptides 2006; 27: 1476-82.
- (15) Messaoudi M. Effects of a tryptic hydrolysate from bovine milk #S1-casein on hemodynamic responses in healthy human volunteers facing successive mental and physical stress situations. Eur J Nutr 2005; 44: 128-32.
- (16) De Saint-Hilaire Z. Effects of a Bovine Alpha S1-Casein Tryptic Hydrolysate (CTH) on Sleep Disorder in Japanese General Population.The Open Sleep Journal, 2009, 2, 26-32
- (17) Hyeon JK. A Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Crossover Clinical Study of the Effects of Alpha-s1 Casein Hydrolysate on Sleep Disturbance. Nutrients. 2019 Jul; 11(7): 1466.
- (18) Taddesse Y. Administration of Alphas1-Casein Hydrolysate Increases Sleep and Modulates GABAA Receptor Subunit Expression. Biomol Ther (Seoul). 2018 May; 26(3): 268–273.