Take one astaxanthin capsule daily.
Nutrimuscle's Astaxanthin Astareal® is a superior form of astaxanthin with the best quality, stability and highest concentration on the market. This supplement is produced thanks to an advanced cultivation technique guaranteeing an excellent richness in astaxanthin.
Astaxanthin is a naturally occurring carotenoid commonly found in arctic marine environments and in the microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis. It has a multitude of beneficial virtues essential for the athlete as well as for the sedentary.
Better recovery and reduced risk of injury
Intense sports activity causes repeated muscle contractions, which leads to an increased production of free radicals by the body. These molecules attack the cells, which leads to fatigue and poor recovery.
More seriously, free radicals can cause inflammation of muscle tissue and joints, increasing the risk of sports-related injuries.
Thanks to its antioxidant properties, astaxanthin helps protect cells against free radical attacks. Astaxanthin has 500 times more potent antioxidant effects than vitamin E (1). Additionally, astaxanthin also has beneficial anti-inflammatory effects (2-3).
This natural supplement therefore allows the athlete to maintain his performance:
- by reducing muscle and joint inflammation,
- by promoting recovery,
- and limiting the risk of injury.
Free radical attacks cause a phenomenon called oxidative stress which damages muscle cells. This can cause inflammation leading to fatigue and muscle pain. The powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of astaxanthin help limit this negative phenomenon and thus improve resistance to exercise (4-5).
In addition, astaxanthin improves muscular endurance by stimulating lipid metabolism thus leading to an increase in aerobic performance. (6)
Astaxanthin contributes to good cardiovascular health by:
- Reducing oxidative stress and inflammation (7-8)
- Reducing blood pressure in people prone to hypertension (9)
- Improving the lipid profile (10)
- Improving blood circulation in the capillaries (very small vessels) (11)
Astaxanthin is good for vision. This supplement helps reduce eye fatigue associated with computer work (12). It also helps reduce inflammation of the ciliary muscle. This helps improve eye accommodation (adaptation of the eye to see sharp objects at any distance). (12-13-14-15)
Astaxanthin helps strengthen the immune system by improving the function of lymphocytes and phagocytes (16). Lymphocytes are cells that allow the body to memorize and recognize aggressive organisms in order to better destroy them later. Phagocytes are cells that can destroy infectious organisms.
We chose Astareal® astaxanthin from producer Astareal AB for its patented form which shows extreme purity and optimal level of astaxanthin concentration. It is thanks to these qualities that Astareal® is the form of astaxanthin most used in scientific studies to measure its benefits on the human body.
Astareal® astaxanthin is cultivated under sterile conditions and enriched with essential nutrients for optimal growth. Astareal uses its own photo bioreactors created specifically to enable cellular maturation of astaxanthin.
The know-how (30 years of experience in the field) and proprietary technologies of Astareal AB make it possible to create a supplement in the form of natural astaxanthin of unmatched quality.
- Prebiotics (Inulin Frutafit® HD)
- Astaxanthin Astareal®
- Vegan capsule (Pullulan Embo Caps® VP)
1 capsule contains 240mg of astaxanthin Astareal® (Aplanospores from the microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis) including 6mg of pure astaxanthin.
In order not to compromise the effectiveness of its capsule supplements, Nutrimuscle uses transparent, pharmaceutical-grade, dye-free Pullulan Embo Caps® VP vegan capsules.
Pullulan is a polysaccharide that is produced by the fermentation of natural plant-based materials. Due to its low oxygen permeability, it promotes the stability of our products by protecting them from oxidation.
Astaxanthin is aimed at:
- athletes to improve their endurance performance, to preserve their cardiovascular, ocular and immune health.
- sedentary people who work on computer and want to reduce eyestrain due to this activity. Astaxanthin also helps sedentary people improve their immune defense and cardiovascular health.
You can take your astaxanthin capsule at any time of the day with one of your meals or snacks.
Take one capsule with a glass of water.
Synergies between supplements:
Astaxanthin can be taken with citicoline to benefit both eyesight and concentration. Ideal for long activities carried out on a computer (gaming, studies, graphics). That's why we created the Focus Mix of Astaxanthin Astareal®, Citicoline Cognizin® and Organic Caffeine.
Antagonisms between supplements
No notable antagonism.
- (1) Tominaga K., et al. (2009). Food Style 21, 13(1), 84-86.
- (2) Park, J.S., Chyun, J.H., Kim, Y.K., Line, LL., Chew, B.P., 2010. Astaxanthin decreased oxidative stress and inflammation and enhanced immune response in humans. Nutr. Metab.5, 7-18.
- (3) Seon-Jin L. et al. 2003. Astaxanthin Inhibits Nitric Oxide Production and Inflammatory Gene Expression by Suppressing IκB Kinase-dependent NF-κB Activation. Mol. Cells, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 97-105.
- (4) Ivana Baralic et al. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Volume 2015, Article ID 783761, 9 pages
- (5) Earnest CP et al. Int J sports Med. 2011;32:882-888
- (6) Aoi W et al. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008; 366(4):892-897.
- (7) Choi HD et al., Effects of astaxanthin on oxidative stress in overweight and obese adults. Phytother Res: PTR. 2011;25(12):1813-18.
- (8) Kim KY et al.,The effects of astaxanthin supplements on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in postmenopausal women. Nutritional Sciences. 2004;7(1):41-46.
- (9) Hussein G et al., Antihypertensive potential and mechanism of action of astaxanthin:ll. vascular reactivity and hemorheology in spontaneously hypertensive. Biol Pharm Bull. 2005;28(6):967-71.
- (10) Yoshida H et al., Administration of natural astaxanthin increases serum HDL-cholesterol and adiponectin in subjects with mild hyperlipidemia. Atherosclerosis. 2010;209(2):520-23.
- (11) Miyawaki H et al., Effects of astaxanthin on human blood. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2008;43(2):69-74.
- (12) Nagaki Y et al., Effects of astaxanthin on accommodation, critical flicker fusions, and pattern visual evoked potential in visual display terminal workers. J Trad Med. 2002;19:170-73.
- (13) Nitta T et al., Effects of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia – Dose finding study in healthy volunteers. J Clin Therap Med. 2005;21(5):534-56. 4.
- (14) Nagaki Y et al.,The supplementation effect of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia. J Clin Therap Med. 2006;22:41-54. 5.
- (15) Nagaki Y et al., Effect of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia. Folia Ophthalomogica Japonica. 2010;3(5):461-68.
- (16) Park, J.S., Chyun, J.H., Kim, Y.K., Line, LL., Chew, B.P., 2010. Astaxanthin decreased oxidative stress and inflammation and enhanced immune response in humans. Nutr. Metab.5, 7-18.
"Great product! It has reduced my eye strain significantly when I was very tired. It also improved my concentration whether I was in front of a screen or in training."
"Astaxanthin is a good product for endurance sports! I felt a better muscular recovery, less mental fatigue and less joint pain."
"Astaxanthin allowed me to work longer on my computer screen without feeling eye fatigue. I also felt less nervous fatigue during training.
Find out more
As consumers of our products, we favor traceability and transparency for our producers and our supplements.
At Nutrimuscle, we only use very high-end raw materials, the quality of which is guaranteed by world leaders: the Swedish company Astareal, pioneer and specialist in microalgae culture, produces the patented Astaxanthin Nutrimuscle.
The benefits of astaxanthin on muscle performance
2 studies have measured the effectiveness of astaxanthin Astareal® on muscle performance. The first (1): 14 competitive cyclists completed a 20 km race after completing a 2 hour endurance ride. The test was performed 28 days before and after supplementation with 4 mg / day of AstaReal® astaxanthin or placebo.
A significant improvement in performance was seen in the group treated with AstaReal® astaxanthin, which ran faster (around 121 seconds) after the treatment period compared to the placebo group.
The second study (2) measured the effect of supplementing 12 mg astaxanthin per day for 7 days in trained cyclists. The supplementation improved their speed performance in a 40 km time trial race.
Additionally, astaxanthin supplementation improved their rate of fat oxidation. This shows the benefit of astaxanthin for better fat burning.
Another study (3) demonstrated the beneficial effects of astaxanthin on endurance. This is because astaxanthin has protective effects on the mitochondrial proteins responsible for regulating fatty acids. The result is an improvement in lipid metabolism in the muscles and therefore an increase in endurance with better aerobic performance. Aerobic physical activity is an activity that requires oxygen as the primary source of burning sugars for energy.
The health benefits of astaxanthin
Atherosclerosis is the main underlying cause of heart attack, stroke, and peripheral vascular disease. This phenomenon is explained by fat depositing and oxidizing along the inner lining of the arterial walls. This results in a dangerous buildup of plaque that constricts the arteries and restricts blood flow to organs and other parts of the body.
Oxidative stress and inflammation are widely recognized as contributing factors to cardiovascular disease caused by atherosclerosis. The use of astaxanthin, which is a potent anti-oxidant and an effective anti-inflammatory, has shown positive effects in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases associated with atherosclerosis. (4)
Computer vision syndrome results from prolonged use on a computer screen. This can lead to blurred vision, eye strain, headaches, and even neck and back pain. This is because of the effort the eye makes to focus on a computer screen.
Clinical studies have shown the beneficial effects of astaxanthin on vision (5-6-7-8). This is because astaxanthin supplementation helps soothe cellular inflammation that occurs during persistent visual stress and prolonged tension in the ciliary muscle.
One study (9) showed the beneficial effects of astaxanthin supplementation on the immune system. Indeed, people who received astaxanthin supplementation saw their lymphocyte count increase significantly compared to people who received a placebo. Lymphocytes are cells that allow the body to memorize and recognize aggressive organisms in order to better destroy them later.
(1) Earnest CP et al. Int J sports Med. 2011;32:882-888
(2) The effect of astaxanthin supplementation on performance and fat oxidation during a 40 km cycling time trial. Daniel R.Brown Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport Volume 24, Issue 1, January 2021, Pages 92-97
(3) Aoi W et al. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008; 366(4):892-897.
(4) lwabayashi M et al., Efficacy and safety of eight-week treatment with astaxanthin in individuals screened for increased oxidative stress burden. Anti-aging medicine. 2009;6(4):15-21.
(5) Nagaki Y et al., Effects of astaxanthin on accommodation, critical flicker fusions, and pattern visual evoked potential in visual display terminal workers. J Trad Med. 2002;19:170-73.
(6) Nitta T et al., Effects of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia – Dose finding study in healthy volunteers. J Clin Therap Med. 2005;21(5):534-56. 4.
(7) Nagaki Y et al.,The supplementation effect of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia. J Clin Therap Med. 2006;22:41-54. 5.
(8) Nagaki Y et al., Effect of astaxanthin on accommodation and asthenopia. Folia Ophthalomogica Japonica. 2010;3(5):461-68.
(9) Park, J.S., Chyun, J.H., Kim, Y.K., Line, LL., Chew, B.P., 2010. Astaxanthin decreased oxidative stress and inflammation and enhanced immune response in humans. Nutr. Metab.5, 7-18.